Working With Landlords
Emergency after hours?
If you experience an emergency from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m., call our Landlord Crisis Hotline at 1-800-811-0191.
Partnering With Landlords
“When landlords partner with us, they reap the rewards of doing good for their community and also see a return on their investments.” - Louis Chicoine, Executive Director of Abode Services
Abode Services is one of the largest and most effective Bay Area nonprofits. We use evidence-based approaches to end homelessness, but our efforts would fall short without the participation of our amazing landlord partners who provide units of housing for individuals and families looking for a place to plant their feet and have a fresh start.
If you are a landlord who has a vacancy or anticipates having one in the future, Abode Services is interested in hearing from you! Read on to learn how we can help landlords like you.
The Circle of Community Elevators
The Circle of Community Elevators consists of Abode housing partners who house at least five program households. Their extensive partnership and support help Abode sustain and expand our programs to service more families and individuals in need each year.
- 827 active landlords since 2013
- 1,794 active rental units since 2013
- $16 million per year paid directly as rental assistance to landlords and property managers.
- 98 percent of households in Abode Services' permanent supportive housing programs maintain stable housing.
What landlords say about us:
Working with Abode was wonderful. They spent a lot of time explaining how their organization works, and they listened to my concerns as a landlord and the qualities I was looking for in a new tenant - and they found me someone fabulous. I highly recommend this program.
Gail, Half Moon Bay housing provider
Abode Services has been knowledgeable in all steps of the process, so that we could provide housing. We'd be happy to work with Abode again.
Jon and Jennifer Rodriguez, East Palo Alto housing providers
Abode Services convinced us that they were very hands on, that [tenants] would have the commitment and full support of Abode to keep them following all the apartment rules. Abode comes in with the social workers and their case managers to help work with whatever the tenants’ needs are or with ours. Abode is very good about being timely and getting things if there’s a problem that we as landlords need taken care of and maintaining.
Korin Gower - Gower Properties, San Jose housing provider
What We Do
At Abode Services, we leverage millions of dollars in public and private funding to provide rental assistance and services that have kept thousands of adults and children stably housed.
We provide financial and technical assistance, as well as in-person support to ensure a smooth and mutually beneficial housing process. In return for providing valuable units for our participants, we offer landlords a range of services and incentives, including:
- Free assistance finding and screening tenants who seek long-term, stable housing.
- On-time payments paid directly to landlords.
- Assigned and on-call Abode Services staff to respond to landlords’ concerns.
- Higher security deposits that meet landlords’ needs.
- Free inspections to keep units up-to-date with Housing Quality Standards.
- Financial coverage for vacancy loss between tenants. (Subject to county-specific funding)
- Bonuses for signing on and continuing participation. (Subject to county-specific funding)
- An opportunity to use their properties and investment to make financial returns and a positive, lasting impact on the lives of our vulnerable neighbors.
Find out how a landlord benefited from working with Abode Services.
A Step Above - Brochure
Community Landlords - Fact Sheet
Make a Difference
To learn how you can join the fight to end the cycle of homelessness, contact us today.
Because everyone should have a home.